So, I've been thinking about learning romhacking, and learning a new thing is helpful for my health, and the simplest thing to do is create a graphics hack, so I did just that, fixing a major problem with one of my favorite games: the lack of mustaches (and beards).
Romancing SaGa 3 features many playable characters with fuzzy faces in their official artwork by Tomomi Kobayashi, and they continue to sport this beauty in the additional artworks created for newer things like Imperial SaGa, but in the game itself, the sprites all have bare faces. Perhaps this was to keep them all looking similar, but they have different shaped eyes depending on their age, and I mean, you can play as a lobster and stuff, so I don't really get it.
So, I fixed it.
SNES9X filter applied
The "Fuzzy Edition" of Romancing SaGa 3 contains but a few edited sprites so that the player characters match their original artwork a little more closely. The following characters have had their sprites modified:
- Fake Robin now has a cute little mustache under his mask. Sadly, I couldn't find Trucks's sprites in the data, so when he takes the mask off, the mustache comes off, too. Sorry. Just don't go into the bar until after you've recruited him and it will appear seamless :D
- Tiberius is as sexy as ever with his mustache to go with his beautiful bald head.
- Herman now appropriately has some grey scraggle on his face to make him look cooler and more piratey and more hot.
- Ward's face is... a little darker because his hair color and skin tone are very similar, so you don't notice too much. But I did try to somehow capture the essence of his van dyck in there somehow.
- And finally, Young Fang gets his little goatee, so if you want a complete party of fuzzy-faced daddies, you can make it whole with him.
Mock-ups I did before making the mod
Of course, there are no scruffy protagonists, so I was considering making a protag mod to complement this that would give Harid a mustache and Mikhail and Thomas beards. Maybe something for Julian, IDK.
Anyway, if you're ready to increase the sex appeal of your romasaga3 rom tenfold, you can download the patch here. I used a vanilla original RSG3 rom that was 4,194,304 bytes.
I've only tested it a little, so if you find any sprites that are wonky or suddenly losing and gaining hair, let me know.